I came across this website, http://www.indesignmag.com/ and thought it was really neat and relatable to what we are doing and could help both people who are confused or just need some guidance. The site offers a number of things including tip of the week and templates. It is actually the website for a magazine that you can subscribe too. The current tips of the week include:
“Five Guide Tips
1. Double-click the spot on the ruler where you want to add a guide.
2. While dragging a guide, hold the Shift key to have the guide snap to tick marks on the ruler.
3. Hold the Option/Alt key and drag an existing guide to make a copy of it.
4. When you’re dragging a new guide from a ruler, you can change it from horizontal to vertical (or vice versa) by holding Option/Alt.
5. To create a page guide that extends to the edges of a page, drag a guide from the ruler and release the guide over the page. To create a spread guide that extends to the edges of the pasteboard, drag a guide from the ruler and release the guide over the pasteboard (or hold the Command/Ctrl key while you release the guide.”
– Mike Rankin
You can even download an app to get similar things to your phone. All of these resources could be vary helpful not only for the class but for using the program in the workplace. Seeing a template may just give you a great idea for your next project.